Tuesday, June 9, 2015

March 23: Free Ice Cream

Heyo Fam!

I'm so glad to hear that you all had a good week (: 
I'm jealous of the beautiful weather there.
It's starting to warm up here, which is nice! 
Can't wait for the blossoms!

This week has been a busy one. 

Guess what! We have an investigator! We've 
picked Viola back up (: It's going to be a long 
process, but she will eventually get baptized.
She was raised in Albania, which back then, 
was a communist country. She didn't know 
religion until her family moved to the US, and 
guess where they decided to land? Boise, Idaho. 
Of all places...haha. 

She grew up around Mormons, but never got 
involved or anything. Until, she moved out here 
to DC for work, where she met her Husband, 
John. Who is from Utah, and has tons of family 
in Saint George. He obviously comes from good 
stock. haha. They've been married for about 2 1/2 
years, and have a one year old! He is the cutest 
thing since sliced bread. Since they met, she's 
had questions about Mormons. About a year and 
half ago, Brother Feagin, their home teacher, 
contacted them. From there, they've been coming 
to church, and Viola started taking the lessons 
about 6 months ago. The Sisters before didn't 
teach her much, because of the Holiday season, 
a lot of appointments were canceled. 

Sister Haupt and I have taught her the Restoration, 
which she has a lot of questions about. All of her
questions are solid, though!  She's a very logical 
person, very well educated. And really, asking her 
to feel the spirit to know this is true, is pretty far 
fetched and completely foreign to her. She grew up 
with no religion. So we're starting from the base. 
We're going to help her understand the events that 
occurred with the Restoration, which will help her 
tremendously to know what the heck we're talking 
about. Plus, she's a history buff, so it's perfect.  Once 
she understands the Restoration, she will be able to 
feel the desire to know for herself if it is true or not. 
We are so excited to begin this journey with her! 
I love this family, so much! They are adorable (: 

Miracle this week...
Sister Haupt is sick. Which meant, we stayed in 
yesterday. Which, of course, was fine, because 
she needs to get better! But, I was a little bummed 
because I was sure we were at least 6 shy our 
"Talking With Everyone" goal. I totaled everything 
up, and we actually exceeded our goal by 3!  The 
Lord knew Sister Haupt would get sick, so he provided 
us with 3 extra people so we could still meet our goal. 
The Church is true. haha. 

Another miracle, was on Saturday. We had 5 
appointments, back to back to back to back. We 
were so nervous about being on time to every single 
one. But we did it! AND we had 3 member presents 
that day. LEGIT.  When you're willing, the Lord 
provides a way! 

OH! And, because of our hard work, we decided 
an ice cream treat was in order. We stopped at our 
favorite, Cold Stone. We walked in and I swear I 
heard someone say "The Sisters!" I look around but 
no one was paying us any attention, so we proceeded 
with standing in line. As I was looking around, I could 
feel the Mormon vibe...there were other Mormons in 
there. Once we had ordered, and were about to pay, 
this cute pregnant lady came up and told she was 
going to pay for our, because they're members in the 
Baltimore Stake. AWW! When you work hard, the Lord 
blesses you with awesome members who buy you ice 
cream.  Those are tiny little miracles, but they meant 
so much to us! 

That's about it for this week.
I love you, family!! 
Remember who you are, and keeping working hard!
<3/Sister Casidee Brinkerhoff 


(This is a note she sent to me in my personal email, 
but I really want to share it. It's a sweet and tender 
testimony.)

Investigators...once again, we don't have many of those. 
We're not getting discouraged though! We know that by 
trials we will grow stronger! As we keep working hard, 
and giving it our all, we WILL find someone who is ready 
and who has been prepared by our Heavenly Father! We 
thought Melinda was solid...but she just needs further 
preparation. I just read 'Our Heritage'..it's in the Missionary 
Library. It really taught me a lot about missionary work. The 
first missionaries didn't have Preach My Gospel, they didn't 
have pamphlets, or iPads, or even phones! All they had were 
a Book of Mormon, a Bible, and most importantly..their 
testimonies. They baptized 100's, if not 1000's! It caused me 
to reflect on missionary work today. Granted, these were 
different times..people were more humble, and less distracted 
by worldly things...BUT! There are still people who want and 
NEED this gospel. This all made me reflect on my work as a 
missionary...have I been bold enough? Has my heart really 
been fully in it? Not that I haven't been working hard, but I am 
rededicating myself. I have 5 months left. 5 months to find 
everyone I possibly can! 5 months to help someone come 
unto Christ by entering the waters of baptism. 5 months..
that's it! That's not that much time...but I got this! I can do 
hard things!  Mom, I love this work, so much. When I think of 
coming home in 5 months, mostly I have mixed emotions...but 
one of the prominent emotions is panic. Don't get me wrong, I 
want to see my family so badly..but I don't want to come home. 
If that makes sense. These past 13 months have been the 
hardest, most rewarding, most worthwhile 13 months of my life. 
I don't want this to end. Thank you, for your prayers (: If you will, 
pray for me to be the best missionary I can be. To be the missionary 
my mom and dad think I am! That's one of our missions mottos...
Be the missionary your parents think you are. If that doesn't get 
ya goin, I don't know what will! haha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment